Thursday 18 March 2010

Keeping a sense of proportion

Here's a page from the '12 of 16' album I'm making for miss Dunnit. It's teeny at 6 x 6, but more than often, that kinda suits me - some of my card maker ideas don't always translate well to a 12 x12 LO which leaves me frustrated. I think my sense of proportion has been developed for cards and so I often find it difficult to use a 12" page effectively. That is not to say that I don't like scrapping in the 'full size' - I love it, but I don't think I'm as good at it. I have developed a card sized sense of proportion! Unless it involves me, food, chocolate, or my life, of course. Then it's about the size of a house. It's interesting to me actually, that proportion has become of such importance in my crafting. I occasionally see others LOs and find myself searching for the photo. This can indicate embellishment (product) overload or the wrong size photo for the page. Utterly subjective I know. And there's more than one proportion to consider too - dominance of title, intrusiveness (or not) of journalling for example. I know I would have the Slipper Lady on my side when I tell you that despite everything, for me, the biggest consideration is the picture. Everything else on the page, for me, needs to be in proportion to that - either literally, size shape, perspective - or metaphorically; importance, emotion, tone. I have a lot of pages that aren't quite right to me, and in each case, the thing that makes me realise I'll have to re-do them, the thing that makes my teeth itch is that there is no focus on the proportions inside the page. Gah. And why do my teeth itch over this? Because I am the least likely to get it right without help. GAAAAH. This is meant to be a fun hobby!
The paper is from the Citronella pad by K & Co, so bright and cheerful, it really helps when the yearning for summer is so high!


And lucky me, the lovely Wipso gave me sunshine - such a generous gesture. Isn't a gorgeous picture too - sure these gerbera, daisy type flowers are high, high up my favourites list. It's a constant wonder to me that Wipso has time to blog at all, check her blog and her shop to see why - she and Twiglet have just about cornered the market in handmade gifts for this year! It seems incredibly un-gracious of me to brag about this award and do nothing with it, that isn't I know, in the spirit of the thing at all. So I will. But not right now. At least you're spared another list of apparently interesting things about me!

19 comments:

Carmen said...

I'm the total opposite, I have no trouble with the proportion of a 12x12 page, not saying I always am happy with what I do but do like the size of the page... and I love doing itty bitty ATC's. But give me something card sized? Total blank. Nothing. Nada. Can't do it. I really don't understand it.

I do love this album you are putting together, lovely to see a new page for it :D

Hels Sheridan said...

Loving your LO hun...tis just perfect x

Linby said...

I find the smaller pages harder, but that is probably because I only have 5x4 pictures and I don't like to crop them too much!!
Think the link to Wipso is the wrong one?
Linbyx

Unknown said...

tee hee - you have posted the wrong link - some poor woman in california will be getting loadsa visits from WOYWWers!!! I only checked because Lynn said - and i'm too bloody nosey not to have a look for myself LOL!!!

Scrapbooking.... the issue for me is: where to start in the first place... loads of photos and digi photos - too many to choose from. had a speight of buying all the stuff.... but it stopped there. I think it should be down to personal taste as they're your memories. As long as they keep and are nice reminders for future generations - who cares what anyone else thinks. I think your layout is fine by the way and the clouds are fab - having said that, I remember last august as being not so much fluffy white clouds, but great big black ones... as I was bloody camping in it for 3 weeks!!! hey ho!!!

Paula x x x

mckinkle said...

Lovely to see another page for this great album for Miss D! Love the turquoise shade of this one!

Keryn x

Julia Dunnit said...

Oh how could I?!! Link corrected! Thanks Gals.

Kaz said...

I love your LO, I don't do scrapbooking as I'm allergic, however I am doing a mini-book which is 6 x 6 and am struggling, so will be pinching your 'keep the photo the focus' idea ta xx

CoventryAnn said...

Great page, love the embossed words. As a scrapper I find i can't do the proportions on a card too well, i'm always tempted to put just a little bit too much on it, as i'm so used to have 12x12 to play with.

Pam said...

Great LO, I don't do scrapbooking too scared!! I'm with Paula don't remember last august being sunny we spent the last week in cornwall and all I remember is walking around with water soaked up to the knees of my jeans and swearing blind i will never have my main holiday in this miserable country every again!! Hugs Pam

Paige said...

I'm the same as Carmen, give me a 12x12 any day. I did think about doing a 6x12 album for JYC last year but it was too scary so gave up before I started. Cards are the same sometimes i can see "it" others it's just a little ol' blank piece of card that too small to put anything on :)
Loving your 6x6 the clouds are FAB!!!

Angie said...

When it comes to scrapping I can do 6x6 and love 12x12 but 8x8 dosn't work for me. Cards are hit of miss ....have to be in the mood ...or is it zone lol. I know the lo is a personal thing so we shouldnt belttle others work ....But .... if the photo doesnt stand out when one first looks then, I feel the point of scrapping has been lost. I think there are two camps ....those who preserve a memory and those who create a work of art...98% of the time I am the former as the photo comes first rather than technique, style and embelishments.

Cardarian said...

I love your layout although I must be honest I only do cards and don't do scrapbooking...I am preparing a project though - a little booklet to give to my aunt and uncle for their 50th wedding anniversary! I hope it will turn out nice! I think I understand what you are saying about the proportions...and yes for me the photo - preserving the memory would be the most important thing!
Cardarian

Rosie said...

Love the clouds on this layout! And completely agree with you about the photo being the most important element - if scrapping is about preserving memories it has to be a no-brain dunnit??

voodoo vixen said...

I used to be able to do 12 x 12 no problem but after doing so many mini books I am sort overwhelmed by the amount of space on a 12 x 12 page now... so maybe its what you get used to using... which doesn't explain my dire cardmaking skills... as they are about the same size as a mini book page...
Love your page with the little clouds floating across!!

Anonymous said...

12x12 is the future missus dunnit lol! cute cute page, i have serious issues 'going smaller' so can totally relate :) loving wispo's shop aswell :)

Ann said...

Very clever page Julia. Love the clouds. What would be the collective name for so many clouds?? A storm?
Only joking. The embossed words are fun too.
I'm happy doing 12x12 and think the photos are the main reason for making the layout in the first place. Embellishments are second for me although that's going against 'the fashion' of embellishments first ;)

Liverpool Lou (Anne) said...

Fab page Julia. I can see what you mean (don't do much scrapbooking myself) Perhaps you'll have to start doing much bigger photos ;)
Anne xx

Twiglet said...

I bought a lovely scrapbook about 2 years ago and it is still sitting naked in my cupboard! I know what you mean about size - it does make a difference doesn't it! Love your little page.

Anonymous said...

I'm with the small is beautiful, although I can truthfully say I've never made, or attempted to make, a scrapbook layout of any kind before. I think I'd end up with the photo and a few embellishments stuck in a corner somewhere, surrounded by acres of space! Thought you might also like to know that I've made my first little foray into Unity Stamps!

Brenda